Thursday 17 January 2008

Springeez

On the left foot, first there is God, then there is Roberto Carlos, and then there is Dela. The Ravindra lawns shall forever be haunted by the magic that was weaved by my left foot on that sodden turf. It has sent shivers down the spines of goalkeepers and terrorized the best of defences. Of late though, my left foot is finding mention in a different context altogether. Several unworthy souls have been alluding to the fact that I have two of them. Metaphorically of course.

Why I never dance is a question I have been asked time and again, to which I have this standard reply- 'Why do you never punch yourself in the face?' This is usually followed by a perplexed gaze (like the one I sport during Solid Mech lectures), though ruminating on the statement further makes the listener realize the depth and veracity in it (Pulp Fiction?). It's not a question of my inability to dance or my lack of grace. It's more a question of not making a fool of myself. It's not that I don't appreciate music. I just don't believe that swinging your limbs around wildly like a dunce is the only way of doing so.

'Morons of a feather flock together', is a cooked up, but very true saying. Coincidentally or otherwise, there isn't a single soul in Morons Inc. that can dance. That, of course, suits me perfectly. The other day, hyde Park was converted into a makeshift discotheque, with a dimwit with a lousy accent for a DJ ('The next saang is the dedicate aaf the aadio secsun.') and a hundred more dimwits for 'dancers'. What were we doing at a discotheque, you ask? We had been informed by our sources that popcorn was being distributed at Hyde Park, and thanks to our legendary appetites, we set out on our quest for popcorn right after dinner. Well, there was no popcorn, but we weren't complaining. The entertainment outdid our expectations. It was like watching a 100 Bhojpuri heroes performing 'Thani sa Jeans' simultaneously. The DJ's accent only added to all the fun. We left an hour later- tired, but thoroughly entertained, having imitated the steps of almost every other dolt on the dance floor.

I recently made a list of things that I couldn't do but would love to. As you would expect, singing was right on top of the list, followed by drawing, bowling (as in the gentleman's game), why, even skiing! Curiously enougyh, dancing did not find a place. I'm a Maddu, for God's sake. Dancing isn't in my blood. I hail from a land where all the hero ever does is walk around flashing his bright red pants and electric blue tees. It's always the heroines who do the dancing around. Of course, every now and then, there are noteworthy (and hilarious) exceptions like 'Tic Tic Tic', but by and large, dancing is a strict no-no downsouth. Having said that, it's not like I'm a complete goner when it comes to dancing. the other day, while dusting my room (hear hear!) I found a souvenir from the days of yore- a certificate to the effect that Abhishek Sunder(Hmph) was the best dancer in 'Salsa/Western' category. It also said that I was a student of class Kindergarten B, but that's beside the point.

Two left feet, anyone?

4 comments:

Saagar said...

Couple of things, Dello boy
1. How dare you even think that none of the morons can dance? Yours truly danced on his dep formals. And a fusion dance on top of that. With great panache too. Jagga Sing shook a leg on the same sad occassion next year. So remember that the Moronic lot have a rich legacy as far as dancing is concerned.
2. How dare you insult the aadio sexun? They are kool doods.
3. You wish to sing?! Does the video that Prondi has in his possession not embarrass you enough?
4. I'm planning to sue the english language for referring to bad dancers as having two left feet. Left handers have been known to be extremely brilliant dancers.

That said, the rest of the post was ferry ferry gud da.

Bihari Potter said...

ahem ahem..
How funny that despite living in Ravindra and despite playing footy with you i never learnt of your "terror" that supposedly afflicts all goalkeepers..
On the dancing note though i am totally with you. I have 2, 3 probably four left feet( i know lefty doesnt like that) and jagga and lefty are mere exceptions among the Moronic lot.
And Yes goody post..

Anonymous said...

@lefty
1. Jagga's dance was a fiasco, to say the least. Don't know about you as I've never seen you dance, though I'd love to.
2. Wait a sec, didn't aadio sexun kick you out disgracefully?
3. You've seen it too?!?!?!!
4. You might as well sue it for a couple of other things as well. Gauche, the french word for left, is used to refer to a person who is tactless and awkward. Doit, which means right, is the origin of the word 'adroit'. So there.

Anonymous said...

@kaka

Not everyone can have a left foot like mine, so I can understand your jealousy.