Sunday 17 February 2008

Il Joga Bonito

There are two kinds of world: the one we dream about and the real one. In the former, I am a shade over 6-foot-4, have the brains of Einstein and the looks of George Clooney. I managed only a 9.8 in the previous semester, and hope to improve. I have the voice of Jim Morrison and the oratory of Mark Anthony (the historic character, mind you). My blog has a readership rivalled only by LOTR, with the Potter series at a far-behind five-hundred-and-second.

Regarding the latter, though, the lesser said the better. But there are times in our life when the two converge, everything seems to be going right and you have to pinch yourself to quell your fears that this was another of those sundry corny stories that ended with the cliched, 'and my mom woke me up and I realized that I had been dreaming all along.' It is days like these that remain etched in our memories- the mid sems, the grades and the innumerable other woes of daily life, somehow, fade into oblivion. It is days like these that we'll tell our grandchildren about some desolate afternoon in a summer decades from now.

Today was one such day. For one thing, we were served Gobi Manchurian in the mess. For another, Manchester United knocked Arsenal out of the FA Cup, and how! It was the kind of thing fairytales are made of. Twenty minutes into the game and I realized why Old Trafford was called the Theatre of Dreams. The Red Devils were at their best, though their cause was helped to a large extent by a series of bloopers from an out-of-sorts Gunners side.

'We won!' I exclaimed, much to the perplexity of Miss Muffet. 'Some team, representing a city you haven't even been to, won', she opined. 'What do you mean 'we'?' In more ways than one, football craze is like religion. In both, the sceptic and the believer are in a perennial state of mutual sympathy. The former pities the latter for his apparent immaturity, while the latter does so for all that the sceptic loses out on due to his apathy.

Watching Nani and Anderson make a mockery of the hapless Arsenal defence must have been heart- breaking for any gunner, especially for one as loyal as the Bulk. I couldn't help but notice, though, that in spite of his disappointment, he couldn't help but applaud Nani's artistry. United isn't just about eleven players representing Manchester, just as Arsenal isn't about London, or Liverpool about the Merseyside. Football isn't just about twenty-two players chasing a ball. It's about victory and defeat, ecstasy and heartbreaks, passion and hope, heroes and villains, glory and disgrace. Football is about life, and it takes a while for one to realize how similar the two are. Football shows you how there are days when nothing goes your way no matter how hard you try, and how there are others when you are off colour and yet, manage to walk away with the honours. How it is one thing to talk about fairplay and honesty but quite another to display it on a field with a million eyes on you. How it is easy to stand by a team in victory, but takes tonnes of faith and resolve to do so in defeat. How no matter which side you are on, the game always comes first.

As I watch my fellow United supporters go wild in celebration, I realize that no matter how hard I tried, there was no plausible explanation for our fervour (the passion?). We know our whistles and applause in the Cautley TV Room will never get anywhere near the ears of Sir Alex Ferguson, and yet, we cheer United on just about as fervently as anyone seated in Old Trafford itself. This is, as PeeTeeVee, aptly put it, a love beyond logic. 'Some day', Miss Muffet goes on, 'you'll grow up and look back and laugh at the lameness of it all.' Someday, maybe. But I sincerely hope and pray that such a day never comes.


10 comments:

Saagar said...

Miss Muffet?
Since when did you become a tuffet?

Hee hee ha ha ha ha.

Nice post though. And WHAT A MATCH!

Maria Knows said...

Have you ever considered, oh mighty Dela, the possibility that some people (for example, moi) never quite leave the zone of surrealism? And, no, this staying-put thing is not drug-induced so please don't frog-leap to that conclusion.

I'm starting to read your earlier posts. Glad to see you're just getting started...

Maria Knows said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

@lefty
let's make a pact. i won't mention the g-word on your blog, and you won't mention anything remotely related to the c-word on mine.

Oh, and again... brilliant game. Could have done better against lyon though

Anonymous said...

@maria

Yeah, we have a simpler term for such people- freaks.
Oh, and my blog has a new reader. Woo hoo!

And thanks for all your comments.
I'm a sucker for comments, you see- deleted or otherwise

Saagar said...

I'll think about the pact
sounds tempting
lets see

Maria Knows said...

Thank you, Dela, for declaring me a freak. I assure you that i am not.

I do, however, tend to send unfriendly and fairly long-winded msgs to talented but lazy bloggers who find it rather interesting to post intimate details of their lives for public viewing and then stop abruptly, thus denying the readers their doses of weekly humour(?), or atleast that's the theme in your case in my (ahem)humble opinion. Long sentence, that... hmmm...

Seriously though, i'm waiting (perhaps not with bated breath) for the next installment of amusement.

Anonymous said...

@lefty
Gud da. Let me know soon

@maria
For what joy, I often wonder. Whatever the reason, there is no denying the fact that I enjoy blogging.

And reciprocating the favor would be highly appreciated (the 'weekly dose of humor', i mean)

Maria Knows said...

I don't know much about reciprocation, Dela; i have, but, mediocrity to offer. I have no blog of my own and have no intentions of doing so in the near future. I like critique quite a bit and so indulge myself time to time. If that has misled you into thinking i possess a sense of the absurd, well... you are mistaken, Clarisse.

Anonymous said...

My blog isn't really the stuff of legends either. Unmindful of the flak, i shamelessly go ahead posting convinced that some blog is beter than no blog. To each his own perhaps.