Tuesday 23 June 2009

Meet the V's

A long conversation with the Balding Successor on life, the universe and everything earlier today left me at my pensive best. As I set about the task of setting right the many wrongs of the world, I couldn’t help but wonder how much lovelier a place the world would be if I’d inherited more from my kin than my family’s trademark wavy hair and a double chin. For over a decade now, the M family has marvelled in unison at how a ToI-reading cynic was born into a perfectly perfect TamBram family such as theirs. To be fair though, the feeling is mutual. My idea of a day well-spent is one with at least hundred miles between me and the nearest kinsman. Exceptions do exist, of course, in the form of my brother, my parents and a smattering of cousins, uncles and aunts from here and there.

I have always had a soft corner for Sister V, though. For one thing, she makes the best vengaaya sambar this side of the Vindyas. For another, the V’s are officially my guardians for my stay at R-Land. As rosy as it might all seem, setting off for their abode in Mayur Vihar Phase-1 is hardly the lovey-dovey homecoming it might seem. Nothing comes easy in life- and certainly not vengaaya sambar.

I have not seen a leech till date and hope I never do. When people narrate their encounters with the horrid creature, I try to picture the person in the V’s living room longingly eyeing the door. The V’s have an uncanny sense of hospitality, you see. No one is allowed to leave their abode until he/she is left gasping for freedom. Pleas, excuses, alibis and lies are all nonchalantly dismissed by Old Man V, capped off with one of his trademark apothegms. “Chandni Chowk is no longer the place it once was.” “Birthday parties are for toddlers.” “Weddings are for 30 year olds.” “Movies are for retards.” I once even claimed I wanted to visit the local temple only to be told by Old man V that temples in the North weren’t worth visiting, before setting off on his own version of the Canterbury Tales.

After delaying the inevitable for a month, I finally gave in and promised Sister V that I’d join them for dinner tonight. Reluctantly, I stand outside the Sector 19 telephone Exchange patiently awaiting the arrival of my beloved 323. I find I'm so agitated, I can barely sit still or hold a thought in my head. I think it's the agitation only an imprisoned man can feel, an imprisoned man at the start of a long journey whose conclusion is uncertain. I hope I don’t make it across the border. I hope Old Man V forgets that he even had a nephew named Dela. I hope the buildings in Mayur Vihar Phase-1 are yellower than they were in my nightmares. I hope.

8 comments:

Chronoz said...

Editorji, Its Leech, not "leach".

While you seem to be having considerable difficulty there laying your hands on anything maddu, here I am, tired of Sambars and Dosais and raring to have a go at R-land's finest ;)


Cheers

Shrey said...

I thought you meant 'leechi' for a second.
I wonder if there's one such relative in every family who denounces almost everything, while you are watching the sambhar through the corner of your eye.
All I can tell you beloved minion is to remember the Shawshank Redemption tagline- Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free (and satiated).

Anonymous said...

@Chronoz
Mea culpa. Spelling noted and corrected.

And R-Land's finest? does such a thing exist?

@Banja
I know da. On the brighter side, i get to have sambar rice twice a day.

Arun said...

Mayur Vihar Phase-I. You have rekindled fond memories in me. I have studied all my life at the school there. Every nook and corner of the bleeding dung-house is still fresh in my mind of all the horrors it holds.

Its the air around that place Dela. Your premonition is not without reason. Stay away from it. Find solace in self-incarceration. Freedom is Slavery.

P.S.- My mother cooks excellent dosas and sambar, typical mallu style. You are always welcome. Bus no. 33 it would be, I think.

raghav said...

Well, dosais, vengaaya sambar , pongal bring me fond memories of home food of course! *sniff sniff*

and leechis are awesome :)

@shre... screw u! maddu food rocks :)

Anirudh Arun said...

"Curtailment of freedom is a worthy sacrifice when the goal remains vengaaya sambar" - The Knowing Maddu.

And contrary to what Chronoz has spoken, I'll never leave home given the choice... When routines and patterns appear in my ingestion schedule, I simply remind myself about R-Land's 'finest'.

Saagar said...

Did any good come out of hoping? I mean, you might have lost your way or ended up there really really late? And a good way to get all ties severed would be land up intoxicated. The disapproval would suffice.
Regarding fear, 'Darr ke aage Jeet hai'.

Murty said...

As I'd professed earlier, there had to be a Civil War for a Guernica. There had to be a Ghajini before a Delhi-6. And, to sound more cliched, on can use P.B. Shelley's famous words, too.