Saturday 20 October 2007

Of naps, yawns and Periplaneta americana

Another TS has just passed, bringing along with it half a dozen highly forgettable grades that shall soon be forgotten, and all that shall remain as 'mementos' of the exams shall be the innumerable bakar (the R-land equivalent of 'chitchat') sessions we had. One such session was particularly memorable. It was at the Reptile's place, and as in most bakar sessions, one thing led to another, and we finally found ourselves discussing our electives in high school. I wasn't surprised by the Reptile's disbelief when I revealed my elective to him. Most people have reacted the same way, more or less, when they came to know that my elective was, put on your seat belts, biology!


What it was that made me pick biology is a mystery worthy of the investigative genius of Mulder and Scully. One thing I never told anyone back then, or ever, for that matter, is that despite all my lousy grades in biology, deep inside, I aspired to become a doctor. I don't know why. I suppose that's what watching Scrubs and reading Robin Cook does to you. Whatever the reason, the fact remains that I longed to have a steth around my neck, and in some deep corner of my ER-addicted mind, I still do. So, despite all that, why did I bunk PMPD (Pre-Medical something. Some exam you have to clear to make it to any medical college in the country.) and spend the day watching a dozen Lis and Wangs walk away with every single medal at the Asian Games, you ask? That is a question that would be answered better by any of the fifteen other bio students in class, or better still by our teacher (who, from now on, shall be referred to as, 'the May Bee'), who tried everything possible to get me studying. Alas, all her efforts went down the drain, and so would yours if you tried to get any of the aforementioned talking, as they are all mugging away to glory in different corners of the world. That means I get to narrate my story all by myself!


Biology classes were very interesting.... at least for the n-4 students who bothered to pay attention. For the quartet on the last bench, they were a laboratory of sorts, where they kept discovering new postures in which Homo sapiens could sleep. The quartet, here, refers to The Geek, The Freek and the Tweak (I have no idea what 'tweak' means, or if it is a word at all, but come on, I couldn't think of another word that rhymed.), and of course, me. Oh, and by the way, 'freek' hasn't been misspelt.


The fact that the others showed an over-zealous interest in the subject did not help our cause either. Not only did it make our lack of interest even more conspicuous, it also got on our nerves. On one occasion, I committed the blunder of sitting beside the God-of-the-Geeks, better known as PSK. It was an amazing experience, albeit a bad one. PSK, as always, was jotting down every single discernible sound wave that left the May Bee's vocal chords. 'She sneezed five minutes ago,' I muttered in sheer frustration, 'why didn't you note that down?' 'Why, of course!' came the prompt reply. Give me strength!


It has been my observation that, by and large, a person's knowledge of biology is inversely proportional to his sense of humour. I don't know how this works or why it is so, but, trust me, it's true. This explains why even some really lame comments like, 'there is a Periplaneta americana on my table' had the entire class in splits. This also explains the fact that though bio classes were okay to start with, eventually, they got corny enough to make Heyy Babyyy seem really funny (or should I say 'reallyy funnyyy').


In retrospect, I probably could have worked slightly harder. A lot harder, actually. But it's all for the better, I suppose. Had I done all that, I wouldn't have ended in this hell-hole we fondly call R-land, would I? Had it not been for the CBSE's absurd notion that guys who can cram a few hundred weird names that would all be worthy contenders for 'The World's Toughest Tongue-Twister' (try pronouncing Ophrys oxhyrrhynyis), and draw a dozen abstruse diagrams make the best doctors, I might have ended up in med. Alas, medicine was not fortunate enough.


10 comments:

Srinivas Narayana said...

Dei dog..you have proved (time again) that you are the only person worthy to be called Dela...katha uda alave illayada! I have found the following points worth correcting in your blog:

You bunked PMPD and _attended FIITJEE mock test_ instead! Moreover, the 15 mugging away to glory is a myth..vazhkaleye bio padikaatha mari oru image create pannatha da...the way you mugged bio in 12th was more than apparent from the marks you got (in revision exams)..attending tutorial also! Topping the first ever 'test' in biology as well!

Yes, it is true that med was unfortunate. Sagapporavan kitta onakku onnum illanu solli sandoshappadutha onnala mattum mudiyum! LMAO!

Anonymous said...

@ng

1. read clause 2 of http://ctrlaltdela.blogspot.com/2007/08/tag-along-folks.html
2. i don't know about the fiitjee test but i clearly remember watching the lis and wangs in action, though i can't seem to recollect the sport
3. tutorials were meant for 'weak' students.. so attending them isn't something i'm proud of...
btw, i thought of writing about the post-board meeting with the May Bee (the 95-90 episode) count ur lucky stars i didnt... :P

Eli said...

Who in heaven's name is NSK....???

Anonymous said...

@eli
its psk, jackass....

Varun said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Varun said...

Vetti naaye.. you make it appear as though the rest of the class maajarly mugged and u gave up.. i still remember the N fight u put for 12th! NG, I am with you on this.. Anyways, the parts on May Bee (is that a binomial for this 'bee' :P??) and the May Bee's classes left me really reminiscent of those (good old??)days. Btw.. may i know who the geek, tweak?? freeek are??

Varun said...

By the way, I'm still wondering how you manage to have all the time and patience in this world to sit and blog about such "oh! so significant" things in life!

Anonymous said...

fight?? I don't remember doing nything of that sort. It could have been her binomial but the b in 'Bee' is in caps... So u'd lose half a mark if it were... n btw, you have underestimated the extent of my joblessness

The Decayed Canine said...

IMHO, medicine wasn't unfortunate enough. And kindly post in more universal languages than Tam. Puhleez.

Anonymous said...

@varun
ur the tweak... ng's the geek...n mooli's freek (free-k....get it??)

@peeteevee
as members of litsec, we are al proponent of the ideologies of the dravida munnetra kazhagam... n that includes usage of tamil wherever possible. u want me to teach u??