Saturday 8 December 2007

Testing Times

Fate has this annoying habit of laying out situations upholding Murphy’s Law just when you least want it to. Case in point: the last ten days of my life. Every time I thought things just couldn’t get worse, they actually did. There have been so many lows, I just can’t seem to pick one situation that I could call the lowest of the lows. That being the case, it was quite tough picking a topic for my new post (which, I hope, explains the hiatus.). But for sheer hilarity, one of them stands out.

‘Unforgettable’ is a funny word. For some reason, we have this tendency of presuming that it has positive connotations, though, quite often, it doesn't. Take my 10th grade Social Science text book, for example. If there is one thing from my school days that I’ll never forget, it is the amount I slogged to memorize the names (and spellings) of Bihu, Tamasa, Kalaripayattu and the three dozen other obscure tribal dances that CBSE thought we, as the future citizens of our country, must know. (Ironically, the names themselves were highly forgettable, but that’s a different matter altogether.) Thank God it was only the names that we had to learn, and not the dances themselves! (I wonder what my grades would have looked like then. Hmmm....) I always considered Social Science the single most ‘unforgettable’ thing that ever happened to me. I was proven wrong though, and the antithesis came in the form of EMAMI.

They say that life’s greatest gifts arrive incognito. I’m not sure about that, but I’m confident life’s miseries do. Take EMAMI, for instance. Quite a fancy sounding name for what was the most frustrating subject ever. I always hated EMAMI, but never with a greater fervour and vengeance than I did on the 23rd of November. The occasion was our final practical assessment, and as you would expect, nothing went my way.

Well, almost nothing. Though the coil of my energy meter got burnt and my circuit looked more like a board of Snakes and Ladders, I had managed to get a seat right next to the invigilator, which meant I got to hear every single question he asked during the viva-voce. (The fact that my roll number was the last in our batch helped too.) Thanks to some dextrous eavesdropping, I managed to overhear every single question he asked, and also the fact that he asked only one question- ‘Expand THD.’

My pulse started racing. I somehow managed to call up a friend of mine and, frantically, asked him the million dollar question. ‘It’s total harmonic distortion. You don’t even know that?’ came the reply. ‘Of course I do.’ I said. ‘I was just checking if you knew it too.’ I doubt if he fell for that, but anyway, my job was done. When my turn came, I walked up to the invigilator in a confident stride that might have seemed unbecoming of a guy who did not know the name of the text book, never mind the chapters in it. Ah, who cares? I knew the question, and I knew it’s answer too. These were ten marks that were well in my pocket already. Here's what followed:

Invigilator: “Good morning young man. You seem very confident.”
Me: “I sure am, sir.”
Invigilator: “Then I assume you’ve thoroughly studied your entire syllabus?”
Me: “By all means, sir.”
Invigilator: “Then, young man, would you please explain the concept of total harmonic distortion?”

Amen.

8 comments:

Saurabh said...

Since when have you started using 'hmmmm' in your posts..
nyways right a sequel to this post about the main exams and our 'study' trips to the library..

Anonymous said...

Ashok here.....please study.

Saagar said...

Try to think of the 10 days preceding the bad 10 days. There might be other commitments there that make you forget about the bad times.

Anonymous said...

@bansi
Hmmmm... Never thought about that. And it's 'w-r-i-t-e' for God's sake. Your spelling seams too bee verry badd.

@Anon/Ashok
Nah... it's beyond me. Nywayz, what happened to ur blog?

@lefty
Forgetting has been never a problem. it's remembering that's tough (especially when it comes to EMAMI and the various types of galvanometers.)

Shrey said...

Dear minion, I have to admit with no intention of annoying you that EMAMI was a gem in the formidable line-up of dull EE subjects. And I have to give it to rpm for that.
Anyway, ee pracs are meant to shatter all notions of knowledge in the subject. No sweat. I can barely recall what the bleep THD was anyway.

Anonymous said...

@Studious Boy
That's not surprising. Why would you complain? You scored a B+ after all.

Saurabh said...

@dela
that was intentional u ass..
thats my style !

Anonymous said...

@bansi
i knew that... n i still went ahead... that's my style.