Thursday 20 December 2007

Pee(,)TeeVee

The darkest hour is just before dawn, it is said. After the draconian head of academics was dealt with (at least temporarily) the winter holidays are here and things have finally brightened up, and how! Nothing, it seems, can go wrong. A phone call to any of my batch-mates enquiring my GPA for the semester that passed is all it will take to dampen my spirits, but why bother? College begins in about two weeks’ time, and at least until then, I want to remain in Lady Luck’s good books (or at least believe that I still am).

I went to Seef to watch ‘I am Legend’ the other day. For those of you who have never set foot on the ‘Island of Pearls’, Seef is the Middle East's answer to PVR, iMax and even Broadway. I was on my way to get my bag of pop-corn, when I couldn't help but notice one particular girl in the queue. She had a face you couldn't take your eyes off, (or, to quote The Reptile, a 10 pointer) like those on the cover of a Mills & Boon novel. Okay, bad example, but anyway, it makes my point. Just when I decided that she was out of my league and resolved to focus on my pop-corn instead, she walked right up to me. 'Hi Abhishek! How have you been?' she asked, leaving me cursing my memory, or rather the lack of it. How could I have forgotten someone so stunning? 'Now that Lady Luck has presented me with an opportunity, I shall not screw up. ' I decided. 'I shall come up with a reply so humorous and charming that she'll remember it for the rest of her life.' Humour has never been much of a problem. It's being charming that always has- more so for me than for anyone else.

'Very well, thank you' I replied, still unsure whether enamour was spelt with a 'u' or not. 'By the way, who are you?' Oh my God! I had done it again. Even by my standards, that was curt. She will now remember me as the rudest person alive, and rightly so too, I thought. 'I'm fine too,’ she replied. ‘Why didn't you call me up before you left for India?' She had misheard me! Talk about luck!

Everything seems to be going right. Despite putting up a mediocre performance United beat the Kops in their own den. Though I didn’t follow it too keenly, the Chennai Superstars, I heard, have won the inaugural ICL. What’s more, Liverpool have lost three games in a row, Chelski lost this weekend and John Terry is injured! I just hope the fairytale run continues.

As far as ‘I am Legend’ goes, it was quite good, though the CGI left a lot to be desired. The producers claim that they have spent a 100 mn $ on the movie. I seriously don't know where all that money has gone. In the opening scene, Will Smith is shown chasing a pack of 'deer'. I say 'deer', because those were the lousiest looking deer in the history of world, never mind Hollywood, cinema. Even stuffed toys would have looked more realistic! Otherwise, the movie was quite good thanks to a stellar performance from Will Smith (yeah, he can act too) and does full justice to the novel. Talking of screen adaptations of novels, 'The Kite Runner' is quite good too, though the pace is sluggish and I fell asleep twice. That has been the highlight of this winter-break. I have watched over half a dozen movies and, to varying degrees, they have all been brilliant.

While 'Stardust' is certainly one of the best fantasy movies ever, 'The Golden Compass' isn't too bad either. There haven't been too many good movies in Hollywood after the classic 'Return of the King', but Russell Crowe has set that record straight with two all-time great performances back to back in 'The American Gangster' and '3.10 to Yuma'. After the nightmare, ‘A Good Year’ and a couple of slack years, things are looking up for Crowe too. Hmmm... I don't seem to be the only one with whom Lady Luck is pleased.

P.S: To those of you haven't noticed, there is a new widget on the column to the right.
P.P.S: I have way too much free time too.
P.P.S: The title is intended as a reference to, and only to, my daily activities. Any allusions to a particular specimen of Cannis familiaris are purely coincidental.
P.P.P.S: I wonder if Gandalf would have a problem with my open plagiarism of his trademark ‘post-post scripts’.

12 comments:

Saurabh said...

how many times has such a girl incident happened to you ?
I remember you saying that in the library, and a few other occasions i cant remember.I guess you really are gaining on your popularity chart !
just keep hanging around me, and you'll do just fine

Anonymous said...

hi! got ur blog's ad frm sahil. thnx 4 th clarifn.. dunno how i cud hav mistaken a 'who' 4 'how'. ur post was really flattering.. am i really that hot? :P
btw, rnt u committed?

Shrey said...

I thought this post was a dud till I read the comment...lol!
And doesn't Lady Steady read your blogs too? I must warn you- Lady Luck can be the sneaky devil quite like the Liz Hurley from Bedazzled.

Anonymous said...

@bansi
yeah, curious, now that u mention it. that was different though. it didn't have this sad twist to it (read the comment below urs)

@nats
i was, but have my doubts now

@bang-bang
she usually does, but hope she never reads this 1. and ur right abt lady luck. learnt that the hard way though

The Decayed Canine said...

Do not cast slurs upon my name!
Baster!
By the way, the dream run is brilliant. By the way, won;t you introduce me to the new lady on the block. :D
Anyway, GET SOME FOOD ON THE WAY BACK. thats a command(ment). I will personally butcher you otherwise. I'm starving man, show some pity...

Saagar said...

I thought the new girl thing was made up too. In fact, I still do. Introduce me or I shall continue to do so for lack of proof.
I thought I am Legend was pretty good actually, but not worth the amount mentioned. And I've also seen Welcome. Recommended.
And Shrey, Lady Steady. Nice one.

Anonymous said...

@PeeTeeVee
Yeah, I have packed quite a lot of goodies. You'll have to compete for them with the Bulk though, and I doubt if you have much of a chance.

@Lefty
Proof? What do you have in mind, a birth certificate?
And 'I am Legend' was good in parts.

Amit... said...

@ Saagar

How can anybody recommend Welcome. I mean, it was gud in parts...but v all r grown enough to enjoy those so-non funny situations. It hardly stand against the classic No Entry... which I believe, it tried to copy.

@ saagar
Neways, it's quite easy to create a fake profile and post comments in ur own blog...just telling...

@ all...
an I'v started blogging too...

Anonymous said...

@thou father
i know u aren't my dad, so u mind introducing urself?

@evry1 else
don't watch 'heartbreak kid' come what may. it's hollywood's answer to hemlock, daggers, guns and all the other tried-and-tested techniques of killing a person.

Amit... said...

m changin my profile name...

The Decayed Canine said...

Post baster post. and where is the damned food?

Anonymous said...

I came up with a really senti post recently, but deleted it soon. Did not want to start 2008 with a sulk. Oh, and that reminds me. Happy New Year. Most of the grub I brought has gone into the bellies of the morons I'm surrounded by. There are, however, a couple of weird looking Arabic savouries that they didn't dare try. Drop in sometime.