Tuesday 8 April 2008

Comfortably Numb

The clocks in my room unanimously read 1 AM, save the one on my ‘study’-table that had acquired a stubborn liking for the 5 o’ clock mark ever since it’s batteries went dry a couple of months ago. Gripping my crutches, I set off on the excruciating journey to the canteen. On another day, I would have made it in under 15 seconds. Today, it took all of two minutes, thanks to the fact that I couldn’t take more than 5 steps at a stretch without stumbling. Nothing had hurt even half as much as this- not the huge bruise on my knee that has left me with a permanent scar, not the fractured bones in my forearm, not even the pin that I stapled into my finger as part of a game of ‘Dare or Confession’. With a torn ligament (and a two-foot long coating of Plaster of Paris) on my right ankle and a humongous blister on my left, if you were one of my hind-limbs, life just couldn’t get any worse.

I ordered myself a coffee and took the seat beside the lawns. The coffee was served and was halfway down my throat in the space of a few seconds. The warmth of the beverage spread to my entire body- for a few beautiful minutes, even my feet didn’t hurt much. A wonderful numbness engulfed me. This is probably what they call nirvana, I thought to myself. Though the pain was far from gone, intoxicated by the caffeine, my brain chose to ignore them, leaving me in a state of benumbed bliss.

Twelve hours later I was in an examination hall filled with an eerie silence uncharacteristic of the crowd of eighty hooligans that occupied it. The sheet I held in my hand made as much sense as a medieval Incan manuscript. As I looked at the questions on Laplace, Fourier, Poisson and a dozen other transforms with fancy names, I couldn’t agree more with Sushi and his views on the same. Exasperated, more out of habit than nervousness, I began chewing whatever little keratin was left on my finger-tips. Bored of that as well, I began counting the number of birds I could spot in the trees below, hoping to improve on my ten-minute-old tally of fourteen.

Two hours later, I turned up at another venue for another paper, though, sadly, the events that followed were the same as the ones before. The three tests today had a total of twenty two questions in all, and I managed to answer just one of them correctly. Yes, you read right. One. One in twenty two. Wes Brown probably has a better goals-to-games ratio than that. On the rickshaw ride back home, I couldn’t help but reflect on all that R-Land had done to me during my two year stay here. Two years ago, I would have died of shame had I performed half as badly as this in any examination. All of a sudden, I am this low-scoring backbencher who revels in being one. It’s hard to believe that until recently I was on par with the Ayush Goyals and Ashish Agarwals of the world, maybe even a shade ahead, if JEE rank is anything to go by. What is it that has gone wrong in the two years hence? Is it just another classic case of my indulging myself a tad too much, thanks to my new-found freedom? My fast-increasing age notwithstanding, am I still incapable of drawing a line between academics and indulgences? I entered my room determined to resurrect the Dela of old- the focused teenager who had inexplicably vanished in the twists and turns of time and fate. Ten minutes later though, another game of Warcraft commenced on our LAN, and I was the first to join in. For better or for worse, I have become impervious to the dispiriting effects of lousy grades and single-digit test scores. A CGPA like mine would have made an average person writhe, but I’m above all that. However dismal the score, I can face it bravely. Even without coffee.

‘I have become….. comfortably numb.’

6 comments:

Maria Knows said...

Pink Floyd, huh? Nice touch, that...

Secondly, sympathy and speedy recovery towards your appendicular anatomy. May you be damage-free soon.

Thirdly, "venure" and "Dare 'of' Confession". Guess that's your pain distracting you.

Pushpendra said...

cool man ya read robin cook

Bihari Potter said...

firstly if its comforting to you, almost all of us have undergone the same transformation as far as academic sincerety is concerned..
and secondly the story of you stapling a pin into your finger somehow seems to be another one your concocted ones..

Anonymous said...

@maria

Thank you, both for the comment and the sympathy. The typos are regretted. I'm not sure how far my foot had anything to do with them, in any case, that shall be my alibi henceforth.

@pushpendra
Ummm... yes i do, stranger.

@b-pot
Yes, but everyone else in the 'all of us' u mention is busy fretting about their weight or their fast-approaching old age, thrusting on my shoulders the duty of sulking over grades.

I had half a mind to respond to the second comment in my usual tone. Mind you, I would have had it not been for the goody-goody image i have outside of R-land. Hell, I'll do it in person.

Saagar said...

Get well soon Baster.
And I second Kaka on his 'been there done that' theory.
Your CG won't make the avg person writhe now, but it will soon if you don't improve. I thought you were going to be a ghissu da. Be one. You don't want to end up with a 7.5 a year later do you? Yours truly managed that when he was in the same place as you are now.

Anonymous said...

@lefty
Easier said than done da. I've been trying to hit the books ever since i was confined to my matchbox. I've watched 2o ovies and 30 episodes of lost since then.