Sunday 25 May 2008

Fate, luck and all that jazz


You are what you read, someone once told me. Should this be true of the newspapers in India, our fellow countrymen fall into two main categories: the Leftists and the voyeurs (the third major daily has been omitted owing to the fact that it is read by no one apart from PeeTeeVee and Lefty.) This being the case, the ones like yours truly who are a bit of both (or neither) are left with no choice but to buy both newspapers (or neither).  Throughout my first year, the paper-wala, at my behest, dutifully dropped both The Hindu and The Times of India at my doorstep well before I woke up. Once I did, I’d ‘see’ the Times and then go on to read the Hindu. The shortcomings were many. WHile one had a bikini-clad Eva Langoria sitting right in the middle of an article on the Chennai Super Kings' recent drubbing, the other is as interesting as Morrison and Boyd. Then again, it is, as PeeTeeVee puts it, a question of alternatives.

 

My roomie, on the other hand swore by the Times. Not that he ever read it though, apart from the early morning five minute ‘flip-through’ ritual every Sunday. After the routine comments on Sachin’s form, Icevarya’s weight and Klodia Seefar’s looks, he would proceed to the sports column. Not that he followed any sport. What drew his attention was the astrology column on the left corner of the page by a certain Bejan Daruwala, which he recommended to every third person he met.  Worse, he’d lock himself indoors if Mr. Daruwala warned him of a physical injury. ‘He even predicted my grades accurately’, he claimed, while conveniently ignoring  Daruwala's prophecies on his love life, knowing that they’d never come true. Not in R-land anyway.

 

Han Solo is byfar my all-time favourite fictional character, followed by Aragorn and Tyler Durden. Perhaps as a consequence of this, I find the entire concept of 'destiny' phoney. Soothsaying even more so.  The very existence of a predetermined course of events, never mind its correlation with stars, palms and whatnot, seems outlandish. Should ‘destiny’ exist, why would I feel a need to do anything at all? Would I rather not sit back with a bag of pop-corn and watch history take its course?

 

As much as I love dismissing fate as zilch, there are times when even I cannot help but feel an external hand manipulating our actions and their outcomes. On the 21st of May, Ronaldo missed a penalty for Manchester United in the Champions League final at Moscow. John Terry and Chelsea were one kick away from lifting their maiden European trophy. Just when all seemed lost, Terry slipped as he took his shot, and sent the ball dismally wide. Two shots later, Edwin van der Sar saved Nicolas Anelka’s shot and sealed United’s third European Cup and the first since the turn of the millennium.

 

Sir Alex Ferguson called it ‘fate’. Maybe it was. Maybe it wasn’t. But one fact that even I can’t belie is that a force well beyond my comprehension was at work that night at Moscow. At any rate, the trophy is ours. Glory, glory….

 

6 comments:

Withered said...

Damn it. It is all right to meander into a topic, but don't start at the glaciers! By the way, I thought you might have Leftists for Lefty, but with your choices (well, one choice anyway), you have redeemed yourself in my eyes. The Indian Express is also pretty good. As for Lefty's choice, the paper is TOI, sans the bikini clad girls.

Anonymous said...

I was arguing with a Senior Moron on whether or not dinosaurs had been wiped off the face of the world of bloggers. With the link to your blog leading nowhere, I believed they had. Anyway, for once, it's nice to be proven wrong.

TOI? I thought Lefty (a la the Canine) swore by HT??

Anonymous said...

Glory Glory Man United.. So fitting that Ryan Giggs was the one with the winning penalty :D... And yeah we were lucky but who cares... CHAMPIONS!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Idiot. I meant HT is the same as TOI, minus the hot gals. Apparently, I have been premature in pronouncing you fit to be a litta.
P.S. My last post IS my best ever, after all....but yes, dinos left their bones, Egyptians left the pyramids, Rome left the Colloseum. That page is a reminder that there was once a dinosaur who blogged.

Anonymous said...

@GS
Yes, Giggsy scoring the final goal in EPL as well as the UCL was the icing on the cake... Woohoo again

@Rapu
In my defence,I was feeling really sleepy and your comment wasn't the limpidest in the world.

PS: If Dinos still follow half the blogs in the world, why not an occasional post as well?

Unknown said...

Well fate definitely seems to exist. It was a case of the better team losing...

P.S. The pic's brillia-ant