Monday 12 May 2008

The Other Side

“You know the day destroys the night
Night divides the day
Tried to run
Tried to hide
Break on through to the other side.”

In the words of a great soul, “The oddest thing about life is that when you finally get something you hoped and prayed for, you realize that it wasn’t worth the effort in the first place.” These 27 words practically sum up everything that I’ve been through over the last fortnight. Oh, and just for the record, the aforementioned ‘great soul’ is none other than *wait for it* yours truly.

Unending syllabi, lousy vivas and lousier examinations notwithstanding, there is no fortnight more eventful than the one preceding the end-sems. It always begins with detailed study-schedules to make up for the mistakes and ‘C+’s of the past and spend days on end with those lovely red-bound manuscripts that lay forgotten under the bed ever since the start of the sem. Plans make way for hopes and dreams of an unusually simple paper or of getting a physics-defying view of the answer script of the 9 pointer two seats beside you. As D-day approaches, the too fade away, to be replaced by prayers and eventually by just an urge to get the whole thing over and done with.

My fifteen days of ‘preparation’ have all gone the same way. I woke up cursing my annoyingly loud alarm and reached the mess in a record-breaking three minutes and forty seconds, well in time for the first meal of the day- lunch. This was followed by a five minute long walk to the library, a twenty minute long search for some book that sounded at least remotely familiar, and a forty minute search for a seat with a perfect view of the hot fourth year girl two floors below. Once seated, I laboriously placed the two-pound book in front of me and studied. And studied. And studied. And studied. And studied. And studied. Or so it would have seemed to a naïve onlooker. I’ve scaled the Everest, scored goals at the Old Trafford, dated Cobie Smulders and won a Nobel Prize- all while staring blankly at those two thousand yellow-tinted sheets of paper.

Eventually, the shortcomings of my preparation came to light, shattering all my hopes of improving on the slew of C+s and Bs that stood beside my name last semester. All that remained was an eagerness to end up on the other side of the end sems- three months in a world without alarm clocks and lecture notes. Three months of unlimited sleep, food, movies and TV. Three months with Robin Scherbatsky, Frederic Barbarossa and Shannon Rutherford.

Nothing, though, is as beautiful as it is in your dreams. Now that I am on the other side, life seems just as boring. Only more so. HIMYM has nothing going for it apart from the fact that Cobie Smulders is the most beautiful woman alive. Lost is as interesting as a game of chess and the only movies on our LAN that I haven’t seen half a dozen times are the uber-lame romantic comedies that I wouldn’t watch unless my life depended on it.

And talking of being on the ‘other side’, now that I have completed my second year here (or so I hope), I am now on the wrong side of ‘the wall between the young and the young-at-heart, as Lefty fondly refers to it. Five hundred more morons will call me ‘sir’ and idolize me when I return to R-Land after the summer break. Oh crap, I’m dreaming again.

6 comments:

Murty said...

Bang on, Dela "sir"!
By the way, WE WON!!! (darn, couldn't the font get any bigger!)
And, as for physics-defying views, you just have to hear about about what's been happening in our batch...You'll surely have a typically Dela-style open-mouthed shock+awe expression after that, and it'll reaffirm your view that, "Your first-year is a Bond first-year, man!"

Maria Knows said...

At the risk of being extremely and spewingly corny- The grass is always greener on the other side. Time to eat beef.

You're starting to sound more and more like Hari from Five Point Someone. Now that you have "unlimited" time, maybe you'll deign to read the book again.

Keep on agonizing some more, though... You're preserving precious frustration for posterity. They'll know that someone else was also very fed-up with his lot in life (or atleast his lot in life for a fortnight).

Saagar said...

"Welcome to my side"
On an even more depressing note, you'll also turn 20 these hols.
Muhuhahaha

Anonymous said...

@hhh
Gmail dutifully notified me of your comment. I promptly typed out the url of my blog- only for the Azad wifi to go bust. For some reason, I was scareds you might have foolishly posted something related to our 'encounter' the other night. Whew!
And yes, WE WON!!!

@maria
Spewingly corny is an understatement.

@Lefty
Boohoo again.
Why God why? We had a pact!

The Decayed Canine said...

Don't rip baster. That's Joey's/My line!

Oh, and btw, keep guessing. A 20 something life isn't all that bad, but you'll figure that in your own time.
For now, I still think of you as an apostate for ditching me here. Sniffles and sobs... :(

Anonymous said...

@PTV
I came to your room, resorting to the time-tested 'kiss and make up' technique, only to find it deserted.

And the 20s aren't bad? Have you forgotten that your age is already a year or so above the 'national average' and 5 years above that of Russia?