Thursday 19 June 2008

Burgundy Alert

For a good part of my childhood, I believed that the world was entirely black and white until a few decades ago, with seas devoid of their azure and meadows of their verdure. Colour, like TV, chocolates, Hot Wheels and most other wonderful things in the world must be one of mankind’s brainchildren (sic), I thought, deceived by the movies of that era. Realization dawned upon me soon enough, though, to this day, I often wonder if my apocryphal world would have a better place to live in. It would have been far simpler, if nothing else.

“It’s on the third row in the basement, a turquoise WagonR,” said my uncle, relenting to my innumerable requests for a drive. Now that I had his permission, I had a completely different obstacle to contend with. Not for the first time, the mention of a colour left me in a daze. Five minutes later, having tried the keys on every WagonR in sight, I learnt that turquoise is some weird shade of bluish-green.

I read a book by Sigmund Freud five years ago and decided to major in psychology, if only to prove him wrong. True to the middle-class values I was raised in, though, I took the road most travelled and ended up in R-land. I am as close to proving Freud wrong as Karan Johar is to making an intelligent movie, and the fact that psychology, philosophy and most other good electives have been done away with hardly helps my cause (Natural Disasters and Seismological Balances, anyone?) One of the few things I do know about human psychology is that we are all born with a voice within us that keeps telling us that there are millions out there superior in brain and brawn. Our entire life is spent fighting that voice. For some, this is all about leaving those around flipping through the dictionary at the slightest of opportunities (The Decayed Canine and his blog come to mind).

Having a good vocabulary is one thing. Dishing out ridiculously fancy terms like turquoise and burgundy like every other guy on the street knew them is quite another. What do you lose by calling burgundy dark-red? Or turquoise bluish-green? So the next time we converse, please bear in mind the fact that my vocabulary isn’t the best in the world, especially when it comes to colours (chromatically challenged, if you like). To the best of my knowledge, peach is a fruit. So is apricot. And I have no idea what mauve is.

16 comments:

Sushant said...

this might help. the jobless soul that i am nowadays, i read a book titled "Why men dont listen and women cant read maps!"...it went on to say that women have evolved in some manner that they can identify colours more acutely then men.
So you can take heart in your virility and question Canine's!!

Anonymous said...

Ok. Now you are guilty of piracy. I've read those last lines of your in about a dozen forward since the age of 13. And for your information, fellow litter, the colour turquoise is attributed to a gem(semi- precious stone?) of the very same name. And as for burgundy, clearly you've given up non-veg, or you might have heard of chicken in burgundy wine.......

Murty said...

Littas, littas! God save 'em all! Grandly pissed as I am with the Karan Johar comment, I'd also like to add that bluish-green doesn't suffice for turqoise. Take blue-green algae; they're not turqoise. Makes sense to have a specific term for some things. Like we don't go around calling orange reddish-yellow, do we? Of course, Freud is a highly confusing person to read, if I'm to understand. But, mauve? Have I seen (and questioned) that before somewhere?

Saagar said...

You think you've seen the worst? Read one of those Fashion review articles sometime. There are apparently 'colours' like Rage and Fog and whatnot.
And Rapsy, even I've not heard of Chicken in Burgundy wine. But it sure sounds good. Note to self- try it ASAP.

The Decayed Canine said...

@Dela
I have been kicked in the teeth. Should I take offense then?
Nah. I couldn't care how many people flip how many pages of the dictionary. My use of the words is solely with the purpose of my remembering them in mind.
And don't mope yet. You might feel pretty stupid reading this post in a few years. :D

Anonymous said...

@sushi
Intereshting. Did this book come out before or after John Gray's classic?

My virility? Wow, I ought to get this page printed and framed.

@raps
I got them too. The word you're looking for is 'inspired'

And no, I've never heard of chicken in burgundy wine. What is it? A Jurassic speciality?

Anonymous said...

@HHH
Blue-green algae are cyan, and I can't for the life see the difference between the 2.

And again, KJ sucks.

@Lefty
I only look (read gawk) at fashion magazines, never bother to read them.

@PeeTeeVee
What purpose has 'remembering' akai akai sora served?

Anonymous said...

If you remember anything from bio, then you will recall that birds evolved from the dinos. Therefore, the aforementioned dish cannot have been a Jurassic specialty, seeing that the first birds came around the mid-cretaceous.

P.S. Yes, I know it's geeky and unnerving to hear stuff like that, but then, I do take some sadistic pleasure in it.

Anonymous said...

@Raps

Huh? (convoluted expression somewhere between a what the bleep and a oh, accha?)

Anonymous said...

Double huh

Anonymous said...

I see it worked.

Bihari Potter said...

Its very unnerving reading your comments page what with people discussing evolution and others admitting to reading books that must only adorn bookshelves. Its time you tone down your content so that the general junta can understand....

Sushant said...

@the b-pot
in my defense...i was pretty jobless.....but i agree such books should only adorn bookshelves
@all
the comments section is turning out to be more colourful (literally) than the blog itself....
nice going da!

Anonymous said...

@kaka and sushi

I was halfway through a response until a soccernet update flashed across my screen and left me in a daze.

Deco to Chel$hit? What's the world coming to?

Amit... said...

What is the procedure to lie all day in the hostel next to you, if you think all your friends and fun is going on dere ?

Anonymous said...

Ah... For the very first time, residing in Azad has made me feel special.