Tuesday 8 July 2008

Five and out

Most forms of art have always been well beyond my modest comprehension capacity. The Guernica, to me, is no more than a bouillabaisse of weird shapes and even weirder-looking people. To the best of my sensibilities, the melting clocks in The Persistence of Memory are as profound as a Britney Spears solo. I firmly believe that, given the chance, my brother could easily better van Gogh’s wilting Sunflowers. The only strokes I found even remotely artistic are those off the willow of Sachin Tendulkar. There isn’t a masterpiece more beautiful than the one-handed backhand that won Federer the second set against the consistently erratic Safin. Maradona’s sixty yard run in that historic World Cup semifinal that led to Argentina’s second goal is more graceful than even the most stunning of ballet renditions. My indisposition towards all forms of art and dance notwithstanding, my loyalties in all sports have tilted towards the more artistic and graceful (with the notable exception of F1 where I have suffered from an inexplicable and often unreasonable predilection for McLaren right from the days when the penultimate page of The Khaleej Times was my sole link with the world of Ecclestones, Hakkinens and Schumachers).

The sad thing about sport, though, is that there is a lot more to it than mere grace. Resilience, strength and some luck is often all it takes to excel. Then again, success is one thing and greatness quite another. For all their talent, Johan Cryuff and his legendary Clockwork Oranje never won a major tournament. Despite being the more elegant and technically sound of the two, Mark Waugh could not compeer his prolific twin. More recently, Chelsea were inches away from lifting the Champions League earlier this summer. Indeed, a certain Geenius and a Kangaroo Cub would even argue, not entirely without reason, that they were the more deserving of the two sides. Yet, even if John Terry not succumbed to that historic (and hilarious) slip, a United fan would still have gone home proud of the many moments of genius displayed by his side. I could spend all day describing Scholes’ thunderbolt at Camp Nou. I could write pages and pages on Rooney’s inch-perfect thirty yard pass that nearly led to United’s second goal at Moscow. What memories would have Chelsea carried home from the tournament? Those of the two million own goals that the opposition defenders chose to score for them, realizing that such feats were well beyond the modest capabilities of Drogba and Sheva? Or those of the three million deflections that led to the few goals that Chelsea players scored for themselves?

Though it did in Moscow, fortune doesn’t always favour the worthy. Case in point: the Wimbledon finals. Though out-of-sorts initially, Federer’s game was as imperial as ever by the third set. He seemed to have clawed his way back into the game from two sets down, and with the third set in a row entering tie-breakers, I had a hunch that Federer was well on course to breaking Borg’s record. History, sadly, chose to repeat itself, with Rafa replacing McEnroe in the encore. To his credit, Rafa has come a long way from the brash teenager whose resilience was his sole weapon who made it to the finals two years ago. And yet, even the most loyal of the Spaniard’s supporters wouldn’t declare him a better player than the Swiss Master.

Claude Makelele can get away with a thousand more fouls and he can still not hope to equal Zidane even in his wildest dreams. MS Dhoni can endorse a zillion more products and he still won’t get any closer to the iconic status enjoyed by Sachin. Rafa’s energy and baseliners may win him ten more Wimbledon titles in the years to come, and yet, he’ll still be second best to Federer.


A year ago, 2008 seemed to be year that would be remembered in the history books as the one when Federer scaled Mount Sampras and Mount Borg. Sadly, nothing has gone his way and his grand slam tally has all but stagnated at 12. Mount Sampras seems to be slipping away with each passing tournament and Mount Borg now an impossibility. And yet, despite the prospects of retirement looming large at the mature age of 26, Federer can still walk into the sunset with his chest held high. "I'm happy the way I fought", said the great man after the epic battle, "that's all I could really do."

18 comments:

Amit... said...

As a matter of fact, I liked Raf wining the title this time. You know, if someone keep winning for too long, it just makes the sport too stagnant.

I'll love to see liverpool or newcastle winning the league someday. It just make sures the game go on.

But that 60 yard run is the most classic piece of soccer I ever got around.

gr88 post, btw..!! ( i was thinking something like that myself some time ago)

Saagar said...

The only reason Nadal won is that the grass is now too slow and the balls too big. Hence the baseliners now have an advantage. It's no longer meant for the serve and volleyers.
Agassi remains the last true baseliner to win Wimbledon.
Since I prefer the ones with a serve and volley game, or in other words, I prefer flair and genius to grit and resilience, I always liked McEnroe more than Borg.
And I really hope FedEx doesn't scale Mt. Sampras, even though I'm a huge supporter of his.

Anonymous said...

Much as you'll hate me for saying this, I still believe that Arsenal has more flair than Man U. But then, you've got Ronaldo...and Scholes....and Vidic....etc. And contrary to Lefty's call for long records, I would like to see Federer overtake Borg. It keeps the game running. I mean, if Tyson Gay didn't break the World Record, what would there be to look forward to? It would mean that the frontier of human physique has been reached- no more records, no heart stopping moments, no fleeting seconds of ecstasy.

Though I miss the serve and volley game too.

Sushant said...

@dhila
did i just see the name of chelsea being referred to as "mere inches away from premiership"...cmmon they were lucky to be within inches (What happened to you being a red devil?)
and yeah even i'd like federer to surpass everyone....not because i feel he is better than him...having watched some of borg's clips i cant say that....i just want him to surpass because it would mean me (and my generation) were witness to a true winner and not just another "almost there"...

Bihari Potter said...

Being a staunch supporter of Fedex I would have loved to see Roger scale Mount Rafa. But with each passing moment it seems more and more impossible. Amazingly the biggest hurdle in Roger's path is there in his mind. I have never seen FedEx miss such simple volleys and sitting forehands. Hardcourts are his best bet. Also, what a final!!
They fought like two gladiators- the Warrior against the Artist..
And as Proximo says "Gladiators I salute you!!".

Anonymous said...

@Amit
I heaved a huge sigh of relief when Djokovic won at Melbourne, and will be rooting for Safin at the Flushing MEadoes. But this is WIMBLEDON. How can Federer not win the Wimbledon?

But no, I wouldn't like to see Liverpool or Newcastle win the league.

Anonymous said...

@lefty
Yes. How else do you explain the fact that the Williams' sisters have won 7 of the last 9 championships?

Though a huge fan of Sampras, I'd love to see Federer break his record. If anyone deserves scale Mt. Sampras, it's him.

Anonymous said...

On their day, Arsenal's game is as beautiful as United's. But then again, their 'day' comes twice in a season and even when it does, you have Emmanuel Eboue to overshadow any flashes of genius shown by Fabregas.

As much as I would have loved it, breaking Borg's record seems out of the question now. Six more Wimbledons? At 26?

I'm for long-standing records too (Federer's an exception) 100m has lost its charm with records being broken far too frequently. Powell sets a record, Gay breaks it in a week and you have a Bolt(from the blue?) outclassing Gay- all in the space of weeks. Recording-breaking moments don't feel as special as they once did.

Anonymous said...

@Sushi
That was a typo da, I meant the Champions League. But yes, Chelsea's run in the premiership was a huge fluke (remember the penalty against Carrick?)

As I started watching tennis very late (late90's, to be precise) I missed most of Sampras' reign. Federer is my only hope.

Anonymous said...

@kaka
As much as I like Federer, I'd love to see Safin making a comeback at the US Open. He's waited long enough.

The Finals was the best game of tennis I've watched live (excluding some 30 odd minutes of the last set through which I slept). Loved everything about it, except of course the way it ended. But yes, Federer looked hopelessly out of sorts in the first two sets.

Murty said...

@Lefty

Federer's as much a baseliner as Nadal is, so one might say FedEx won all those titles 'cause the grass is much slower. That's how Ancic beat him 7 long yeras ago, right? Also, remember how much a serve-volleyer like Takao Suzuki troubled Federer at the Australian 2 years ago?

@Dela

Being a hard-core Red Devil myself, the Arsenal point by Rapu does bring a baby cat among the pigeons for me...

Murty said...

And, Dela, 'Clockwork Oranje'...hmmm...Have I seen that somewhere before?

Anonymous said...

That's the problem with you Red Devils. There is no way you will acknowledge the beauty of another team's game. And no, it is not confined to you alone. Damn it, for being the most popular game on Earth, football sure creates great divides.

P.S. FedEx is a lot slower now as compared to, say, 2 years before, when you'd see him flitting across the grass like some giant grasshopper. If you saw the first set, you'd know I speak the truth.

Anonymous said...

That's the problem with you Red Devils. There is no way you will acknowledge the beauty of another team's game. And no, it is not confined to you alone. Damn it, for being the most popular game on Earth, football sure creates great divides.

P.S. FedEx is a lot slower now as compared to, say, 2 years before, when you'd see him flitting across the grass like some giant grasshopper. If you saw the first set, you'd know I speak the truth.

Anonymous said...

@Rapu

Appreciation is reserved for the few instances when it is due- like Arsenal v Milan at San Siro, or Chel$ki v United at the Bridge. It is the Arsenals, Liverpools and Chelseas of the world who play lousy football most of the time and deprive us of opportunities to display our magnanimity.

Agreed. Federer is slower than he was, but he's still the best in the world,.

Anonymous said...

@HHH

Yup.. Maybe I should start moderating the comments on my blog and delete the ones where Rapu discusses football.

But baby cat? Isn't it a cat among the pigeons? Or was that just the name of the Agatha Christie novel (and one of her worst ones at that)?

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm no data bank of players and clubs, but I'm no stranger to football either. In fact, I've been following the game for well over 12 years (not counting my other life). And people, here's an editor talking about curbing freedom of speech!

Saurabh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.