Thursday 9 April 2009

There and back again

The first cries of the pani puri vendors announce the break of dawn. The Arabian Sea glistens in all its glory once again. Pigeons and gulls fly over us and further inland. The sun couldn’t seem to make up its ruddy mind whether to shine in all its cynical glory or let the cool breezes endure. The distant silhouette of the Gateway of India is soon surrounded by specks of human bodies. The auto and rickshaw wallahs arrive in the hope of an early customer. The beggars pick up their rags and rehearse their heart-wrenching wails. The eunuchs are up, going around doing whatever it is that they do. Another day in the life of the world’s greatest city has just begun.

It has been quite a journey. Forty eight hours ago, I was in R-Land trying to make a dim-witted hexagenarian see reason. With us getting richer by 75k (with a fancy 4' by 2' cheque to prove it) and a mail from the Tatas heaping an undue amount of praise on us, the milk of human kindness would rise like a tide in the old man, we thought. All that remained was mere paperwork- he would sign the blighted application and be done with it, perhaps with a few words of wisdom- a ritual men his age can’t seem to do without. None of that happened, though. Except the homily with the words of wisdom, of course (“You're still young. Many big opportunities will come your way. And not all of them will clash with your examinations. Har! Har! Har!”) Far from amused, I set off anyway, deciding to do a “Screw you guys, I’m goin’ home.” The last word, of course, has no place in the present context.

Three uneventful rides (aboard a bus, flight and an auto-rickshaw respectively) found us at the hallowed gates of the Taj Mahal Palace. As embarrassing as it might sound, this was my first stay in a 5-star hotel. I have flown first class only once in all my life, and that was also on a ride to the Schiphol when the KLM officials were kind enough to offer me a free upgrade. A flight journey is invariably synonymous with a packed Cathay Pacific 400-seater or four hours of Omaret Yakobean aboard Air Arabia's Boeing 737s. The ordinary folks that we are, my family and I are loyal customers of the RCI Resorts and the Midway Motels of the world. An odd Sheraton stay makes my day. The last line rhymes, by the way. That I had another first-timer for company helped, of course. I still made a fool of myself, but it was reassuring to have someone by my side through all my buffoonery.

My blog turned two earlier this year- an occasion that I, in a spate of laziness, conveniently chose to ignore. The forty posts notwithstanding, my blog is far from the complete chronicles of my life in R-Land that Miss Muffet keeps referring to. Strangely enough, the most memorable events are the ones that don’t find a place on my blog. The two trips to Allahabad, the ushering in of the new year, the Dark Knight at Satyam on my birthday, the encore two days later, Nihilanth, Watch Out, the 28th of August, 2007- the high points of the last two years are all conspicuous by their absence. Some moments are too sacrosanct to write about, perhaps; some memories too special to be shared. My third trip to the financial capital in as many years is the newest addition to the aforesaid list.

11 comments:

Murty said...

So you won't be telling the whole wide world about the schoolgirl who was old enough? Haven't you learnt from me, da? She might as well stumble upon this page! (Pun unintended)

weird al said...

bozo... seriously- you live up to ur name. u needed 500+ words to say dat you wern't going to tell us nything? Dufus..

and there was nothing wrong with ur upbringing. u wer d 1 who insisted on eating without forks and walking arnd barefoot. it isn't our fault that u grew up to b a rustic bloke. And a geeky 1 on top of dat. Sheesh!

Anonymous said...

@HHH
No I won't. And I'd love it if you kept mum too.

@Alisha
English please.

Chronoz said...

Verbosity seems to be the order of the day. Anyways, "World's greatest City"?? Why so?

Prachi Agrawal said...

I agree...some memories are too special to be shared...though I won't keep my readers waiting for so long to know that!
And once again...Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

@Shreyas
Lots of reasons da. It's the crowds perhaps. Maybe it's the trains. Or the dabbawallahs. I don't really know. Bombay never ceases to amaze me.

@The Godmother
It's still early days for you, minion. Once you're 40 posts into blogosphere, holding on to your readers is the last thing on your mind.

Anirudh Arun said...

Too bad this post isn't going to be followed up by a 'Lord of the BizQ Challenge - by Dela (again)'...

I'd expected more out of this trip to the 'greatest city' (remind my to chastise you for completely forgetting Maddu pride) than a passing mention about just about everything you have 'accomplished' during this year!

Anonymous said...

@Kondy
I'd expected more myself, to be honest. Ah heck... I still walked away with a handycam and a coffee mug- you can go shave your head for all I care.

Karthik Vaidyanath said...

Expected at least a brief outline of the Mumbai round. Rather, you went astray and nostalgic after a description of the 3 uneventful rides.
Hope the Mumbai round comes up in the next post...

Saagar said...

I'm still waiting to have my first first class experience. Oh, and on my tryst with the Arabian Sea last week, I did go inside the first AC train compartment, if only to find a charging point. But then, a first is a first.
And I'm thinking of making the "some trips are too sacred to be written about" line patented. You owe me Rs. 100 per word.

Anonymous said...

Da!! Is that all about Mumbai (the gr8est city?) ?? A couple of eunuchs and beggars... Duh!

And talking bout firsts, i had my first nite-out fr studies this mid-sem... the unfortunate thing being that all qs wer frm the very chapter i had left... But as they say... Such is life dearies!