Tuesday 14 July 2009

The Story

"Some people pass through your life and you never think about them. And there are some you think about, and wonder "whatever happened to them"? Dentist, maybe. Gossip columnist. No - divorce lawyer. Some you wonder if they ever wondered what happened to you. And then there are those... you wish you never had to think about again. But you do."

I suppose there are days in all our lives that we look back at and wonder if the cruel parting of ways with the quilt first thing in the morning was worth the trouble. Lazy chumps like my brother probably have them practically all the time. Though not the most industrious soul alive, I treat my past less derisively and strive to find a silver lining in even the gloomiest of days. Yesterday was one of those rare occasions when there wasn't one.

It was a pleasant Sunday afternoon- the sun was up, the birds chirped and all seemed well. I left for the CCD on Lloyds' Road for my daily dose of caffeine only to run into Miss Muffet. 'Of all the gin joints, in all the towns, in all the world, she walks into mine,' I exclaimed, only to be condescendingly reminded by the waiter that neither was the place a gin joint nor was it mine. Bemoaning the drop in the IQ of waiters in these parts, I jostled my way past a horde of coochie-cooing couples and greeted the lady.

If she was even remotely pleased by this chance meeting, she concealed it brilliantly. Miss Muffet seemed to have put on a few pounds since we'd last met, but, in retroispect, telling her so was probably not the best way to kick start our tête-à-tête.

Strange really. Ever since the time I first set sight on Metro Goldwyn Mayer's roaring lion, Hollywood had drilled into me a notion that a meeting of ex-es was a sight to behold- you know, old sparks flying and all that rot. That fateful afternoon, though, the darned sparks didn't so much as budge. To cut a long story short, my huge hopes for the summer have come to all but nothing. I shall return to R-Land later this week with my feet firmly entrenched in bachelorhood, perhaps firmer than they have ever been.

Oh well. Que sera sera.

11 comments:

PSR said...

so very true.que sera sera,jo bhi ho so ho.but then in the eternally wise words of sir barney,the bachelor party continues.

Murty said...

Great work, sonny! I'm so proud. Leaves me using one of the words I've learnt over the past ten days of vocabulary-building: Your fiendish candor might leave you single forever.

Team Ed said...

Peeteru,thala post da. I come to hear from Shre that you are on a maddu spree... proud of u for dat! ;)
on a serious note, werent you tempted hog the vadakari in murugan idli kadai? Or Santhom Beach? Coffee in CCD in madduland? the plantation A coffee beans of narasus coffee is superawesome :)

Bihari Potter said...

hmmm.. well.. hmmmm

Saagar said...

Considering you'd been dumped earlier (or 'amicable parting of ways' in your words), I doubt there were any chances of sparks flying in the first place, were there?

Anonymous said...

@PiSRA
I know. This doesn't change life in R-Land one bit.

@HHH
Which was the word you learnt? Candor? Or fiend? Or single?

@The Mathematician
Oh yes, the maddu spree is on. Maasilamani, Pasanga, Ayan and 'Yaarukku Yaaro Stepnee'- all in the space of 3 days. I have been to the beach a couple of times; Murugan idli kadai will have to wait though.

@Kaka
Hmmm?

@Lefty
Hope is never a bad thing, is it?

Anirudh Arun said...

Firstly, I will not forgive you for letting me watch 'Yaaruku Yaaro Stepnee' and Mr. Sam Anderson...

I understand the dire need for conversation starters, even with ex-es, but this was brilliant! People, even in inebriated disposition, in a gin bar, would have feared to utter it... Need to remember this one...

The Decayed Canine said...

You're in Bangalore?! I thought you were in NOIDA, training or something, like DJ said!
Anyway, Bump in at Roorkee on the 27th.

Anonymous said...

@Kondee
I know. I am giving the 'What Not to Say to to your Girlfriend' guidebook a serious thought.

@PeeTeeVee
I was da. I did a 'Screw you guys, I'm goin' home' a fortnight ago and headed downsouth.

PRIncipessa said...

Hi.
you could be a superstar at www.fmylife.com

nice posts, and most of all, the blog url rocks.

Anonymous said...

@Pri
Thanks and thanks again.

I gave fmylife quite a serious thought before I posted this here. Reading a few posts on the site convinced me that my life wasn't all that fucked up. Yet. I might feel differently once the placement session is underway.