Monday 3 August 2009

Senescence

I have always found the gulf between theory and practice quite annoying. On paper, I could write ballads on the backhand- from Steffi Graf’s one-handed sliced backhand to Safin’s perfectly controlled two-hander. Yet, when I stood holding a racquet for the very first time on R-Land’s concrete courts, I skied twelve consecutive balls over the 20-foot high fence and onto the adjacent football ground. In another sport, my strokes would have been lauded by all and dubbed homeruns, sixers and whatnot. Tennis, sadly, has never been the most logical of games.

Over the years, many a wide-eyed kid has called me his role model and thanked me no end for inspiring him to achieve whatever little he managed to achieve in his miserable life. Without a hint of sarcasm, mind you. The mantle of the role model fell on my shoulders again that forgettable Friday evening. A small crowd had gathered around to watch the barrage of projectiles that I was sending over the hedge with unerring accuracy. ‘Look! That guy is in 4th year and he’s still worse than us,’ I heard one of the kids whisper, clutching his racquet with a newfound vigour. I had half a mind to give the bloke a sermon on geriatric wisdom and how tennis wasn’t one of the many fields it encompassed. I decided against it though, lest the R-word be brought up all over again.

You know you are older than you'd like to be when your playlist has more songs of John Denver than Nirvana. I turned twenty one a fortnight ago. It feels like seventy one, to quote the words Darth Canine used on his twenty-first. It is a strange thing to say, but for the first time in life, I feel terribly old. It isn't the mature, coming-of-age old. It's more a nostalgic, 'those were the days' brand of old. More's the pity.

As I languidly empty the contents of my sixth cup of coffee in as many hours, the matkas in the neighbouring canopy are busy planning their campaigns for the impending elections. The PM household is going about doing their thing. A long-haired fresher is humming Linkin Park’s latest, twirling his fingers into a range of convoluted positions while he did so. A couple is recreating a scene straight out of a chicklit novel- giggles exchanged, hands entwined, sweet nothings whispered- the whole nine yards.

Ever the silent spectator, I watch the motley crowd go about their business, constantly reminded of that timeless dialogue from Lethal Weapon- ‘I’m too old for this stuff.’

13 comments:

Shrey said...

Why is it that the 21st always bums people out? Is it because of the nearness of the dreaded 21.2 figure?
Somehow my 21st wasn't all that depressing. Anyway, tennis, huh? I'm happy to be away from the massacre.
Happy birthday once again.

Arun said...

Captivity of Negativity. That is what I would say about this. And that is what they said to me after my 'Dark Side of the Moon'.

Murty said...

Ah, your misadventures with tennis make me ever the more eager to invite you to see me play today.

And, yes, if you just try to open your mind and forget seeing everything as the last pee, the last big daru party, the last time you're embarrassed by a junior et al, you'll realise this is just another year. Almost.

tired_or_wannaberetired? said...

Tennis really brings in fond memories of my green days in this sport, when i went up to the finals in the under-13 tennis tournament in chennai :)(that means i lost there!! :( :P). but well, i ve lost touch now, far too many practicals...
but tennis sure rocks :-D
@ moor-tha: you play tennis? i asked u to call me!!

Anonymous said...

21???? Happy Birthday, I guess, two weeks too late. And you should try a single armed backhand. After you convince yourself of the sheer futility of hitting a ball out of bounds a score and five times, move over to squash. Can't lose many balls there, can you? Oh, and yes, pun intended.

Saagar said...

Were the reasons that took you to the Tennis courts similar to the ones that Shrey had? If you'd wanted to learn tennis, I would have happily obliged a year ago. Inter-bhawan player, after all, you see.
21 is a great age to be. You're not acting it at all. Instead you're acting like an immature 20 year old. Grow up. Be a man. Brace up to try and conquer 21.2
Otherwise. Have faith in Barney Stinson.

Sushant said...

why oh why am i not surprised bang bang is the first one to comment on a tennis post.....
motra is giving squash a try and the squashcourts,old as they are are cracking under the pressure!

Saagar said...

Regarding Susaant's comment
Sunky, be careful. The squash courts are not very hard.

Chronoz said...

you're scared to give a fachcha a piece of your mind cause you are scared of the R-Word. Hah!
Fachcha 1 - Dela 0

The real acid test to know how old are you is, whether or not a random fachcha has walked up to you and asked whether you are a fresher. Its happened to some of my friends and I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

As for the bridge between theory and practice, I so agree with you :P

Anonymous said...

@Banja
Darn, you had to remind me. I am 45 days away from the magic figure.

'Happy' to run away from tennis, eh? Tee hee, I am so phunnee.

@mGay
Phrase noted for future use on other blog posts on sucking at sports.

@HHH
Just another year indeed. With a placement session, CAT and 32 contact hours thrown in.

@Raghav
I was tempted to join you the other day at Govind. I never will now.

@Rapu
I tried both da. I even tried my own version of the slice a couple of times. Same result.

@Lefty
That isn't saying much, is it? If I remember right, you were invited to turn up at the basketball courts as well just to make the numbers for Cautley, weren't you?

@Sushi
I know. TO make matters worse, he has Fattu for company. Very worrying indeed.

@Shre
That's never happened to me. I feel older now. Baster, you aren't helping.

Anonymous said...

Tennis again in your post after a long time... and i m so happy (not at your performance, ofcoz!)

And i m soon gonna turn 21... i dont really feel depressing! On the contrary actually (i can "officially" marry!!)

Btw, they are not "concrete courts"!! Infact, very well laid synthetic courts!!

PS: Happy Birthday, two weeks too late! :)Forgive me, but i seem to be forgetful about those ppls b'days who are too forgetful about chappos!! :P

Anirudh Arun said...

I vividly remember Lefty's 21 post and the kid calling him 'uncle' seemed bad enough....
'He still sucks...' however has redefined insult here. Do two things, will you? Never play tennis again. And don't scare us kids with your morbid tales!

On the shining flip-side though, you've got half the answer.

Anonymous said...

@Nair
You don't find 21 depressing? I suppose you haven't heard of the legend of 21.2 then. Remind me to narrate it to you.

@Kondee
Half the answer isn't much of a consolation when you're two months away from 21.2. Sniff.