Monday 10 August 2009

Fifty. And Counting.

Mambakkam is a sleepy hamlet two hundred kilometers south of Chennai, smack in the heart of what was once the Pallava Empire. The five-hundred strong settlement is an Indian village straight out of a Bharatiraja movie- the idyllic picture complete with a large pond adorned with lilies of an enchanting shade of cream. Our own bungalow was a pleasant yellow- the only concrete structure in the vicinity apart from the Pillayar Kovil to be allowed the luxury of paint. The house was in a mesmerizing state of ruin, perennially sporting a captivating fragrance that was a fusion of agarbattis, moss and cow-dung.

My favourite part of the house was an unusually long verandah, no wider than a couple of metres. The walls on both sides were lined by portraits and photo-frames from over the ages haphazardly nailed on the bluish-white walls- a picture of Grandma’s wedding ceremony and another of her father's graduation stood cheek by jowl. There was a haunting feeling, a sense of defying death, perhaps, about those fifty-odd black-and-white images that never quite left me.

I have always found photography fascinating. It is strange how it only takes a piece of paper and some fancy equipment to freeze a moment in time, sealed from the drills of age and death that we mortals are put through. Summer after summer, I'd catch Granny spending hours looking up, misty-eyed, at the frames and smiling at the unseeing eyes; taking her own sweet jaunts down memory lane. Occasionally, I'd even spot a tear or two. Having seventy years of your life stare down at you from a wall can be a daunting experience, I suppose.

True to its coastal location, the rains haunt Mambakkam with a numbing regularity. Yet, strangely enough, the village is caught unawares every single time, welcoming each spurt as if it were the first. Nothing could have prepared the hamlet for the cyclone that struck it late last year, though. I always thought the telephone poles the Government installed all over the village in the late 90's were an anachronism- the only eyesores in an otherwise perfectly medieval setting. The poles did little to improve their standing in my eyes when one of them was uprooted by the cyclone and landed right in the middle of my ancestral home, taking with it the verandah and the images and stories it withheld.

Much to my own disbelief, it has been fifty posts since I first decided to encroach on a few megabytes of webspace (two posts were subsequently deleted, if you're wondering why the numbers on the right don't add up). As clichéd as it might sound, the last forty-nine posts have all, to varying degrees, been steps on that long journey to self-discovery. I have often been asked why I wrote- not always out of exasperation, I must add. A few even ventured explanations of their own; the Bulk's 'Glory-Blogger' theory undoubtedly the most popular of the lot. I, for one, believe the asnwer lay somewhere in that verandah. I have always felt an inexplicable sense of warmth while wallowing in nostalgia- that huge void inside slips into oblivion, for a few wonderful moments. I think my posts have all, in one way or another, been patchy attempts to recreate my beloved verandah. Some day, I will look back at all this. And smile.

25 comments:

Shrey said...

Congratulations, dear minion. Very well written- it somehow reminded me of the beautiful description of Malgudi.

Bihari Potter said...

Beautiful, beautiful post Dheela.. Mesmerizing to say the least..

Saagar said...

I'm smiling right now.
Right up there with the best.

Arun said...

Simply brilliant post. My admiration for your writing began way before your 50th; it shall continue in the same vein, rather getting stronger with each post. Take a bow, gentlemen.

R S said...

I have been following your blog since you scribbled your 25th(including those deleted ones) and never has it occurred to me to actually comment.
Should I??
k..
WOW!!

Raghav said...

Truly brilliant, warm, mesmerizing post Dheela :D
The fervency of basking in nostalgia is paradise :D

*smiles, takes a bow*

Ahuja said...

whoa ... and I thought K9 was undisputed as king of nostalgia.. I stand awed, by the sheer brilliance of the last few lines.

Sundaresh said...

Nice post and everything but looks like Kaka is desperate to get you tojoin gyaara lal.

Chronoz said...

I have this bad habit of reading the comments before I read the post itself. As I read through your post, somehow I was not mesmerized and felt that this was overrated. That is till I read the last paragraph.
*Takes a bow. Need I say more?

Gyara Lal, LOL!

Chronoz said...

Btw, I, for one, am not fascinated by photographs. A single piece of glossy paper or 2500kb jpeg file, can not even come close to the real thing.

I wish I had a pensieve.

Anonymous said...

@Banja, Kaka, Lefty, mGay, RS, Ahuja

Danke.

@Motra
I suspected it myself. Oh well, I might as well keep him waiting for a while longer then.

@Shreyas
You don't have to be physically transported da. That is the beauty of stills- it reminds you of the moment and leaves the rest to your grey matter.

Anunaya Jha said...

Kudos..
And looking forward to the next 50.. and more!

Anirudh Arun said...

Beautiful post Dela. Looks like your velaness is being put to good use. Congratulations on two and a half score.
And you seem to have influenced your minion so much that the chap has caught up with you overcoming your one-year head-start!

Murty said...

Your best post in a long while. I guess it's the age getting to you :)

Sushant said...

definitely should have checked it out this long time ago nah friend!

PSR said...

really sweet post....i am still all confused bout blogging.

The Decayed Canine said...

Or some day, you can look at blogger/google shut shop and put a fist through your keyboard. :)
That pole was a sign. There are less evanescent ways of remembering.
And the bulk, as usual, is right. For most of us, anyway...

Pranav said...

as ever a good reason to write a post as any. for all your sleepy mumblings this one was touching. Congrats!

Anonymous said...

@Anunaya, Murty, Pisra, Pranav
Danke

@Kondee
The minion is a jobless nut of the first order. Who the bloody hell posts 9 times in a month?

@Sushi
Good. I was scared you might say, "Oops. Wasted mah tym here."

@PeeTeeVee
Nah. In Google, I trust.
The Bulk's theory falls flat on its face in the wake of new, awesome blogs such as this one: http://sahil-1490.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Is this the village somewhr near kanchipuram?? and the vinayagar temple with the inscription the famous tamil journalist savi's name?

Anonymous said...

@Anon
Doubt it. There was little that our Vinayagar Kovil had to offer apart from piping hot puliodharai on Sunday mornings.

The Plant Plate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Plant Plate said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

@Divya
Ohkay. I once had a classmate who was also a grandson of the late Savi- a guy named Amitabh Artanari who is now doing his Masters at Auckland University. Is he, by any chance, from the family you're looking for?

The Plant Plate said...

Hi sorry for the late comment. Amitabh Arthanari is my cousin. And yes, he lives in NZ. I went to NZ in 2008. It is indeed a small world.