Sunday 4 October 2009

To be or knot to be

It has been close to a month and a half since I last posted. The 40 odd days that have transpired between ‘Fifty and counting’ and now have been unusually eventful- at once both dream and nightmare for a blogger. That is one of the downsides of blogging, I suppose- you are prone to the odd pangs of guilt every time you let a potential-post pass. There was a time in my early blogging days when I maintained a blue scribbling pad where I jotted down every anecdote I wanted to post but didn’t. As the years went by, sanity was restored and the pad became another speck in the vast pile of garbage that lies beneath my bed. Had I still maintained it, though, I would have found that almost all my ‘nearly entries’ post-July were centred on the same theme- marriage.

There was a time when I felt quite strongly about all matters concerning the holy knot. Strongly against, of course. My four years in R-Land, sadly, have left me more confused than ever. While weddings, matrimonial websites and arranged marriages continue to baffle and repulse me (yes, thank you Sheldon Cooper), quotes such as this one have left me convinced that society is better off married than single.

The wedding bells back home will be kept busy this 2010, with three of my cousins set to reach the magic figure of 26. The wedding halls have been chosen, the outfits purchased and even the gifts decided- all that remains, of course, is the bride. I quite enjoy the run-up to The Great Indian Wedding. Aunts and grannies who seldom check their mailboxes suddenly look up Iyengar girls on BharatMatrimony.com and Facebook with a dexterity that would make HHH hang his head in shame. Feminists who spend most of their desolate lives lamenting the rampant voyeurism in our country can be found looking up profile pictures and passing comments that range from the thinly-veiled (“This one has a big nose.”) to the blunt (“She looks like a slut.”) While it’s all good fun watching others having their soulmates picked by an army of chittis, athais and paatis, picturing myself at the receiving end of the ritual does send a chill down the spine.

Old Man K’s betrothal was held earlier this month, cruelly reminding yours truly and the iPot that our own big nights might be less than half a decade away. In the meantime, The Pink Prophet added to the entire clamour with his prediction that I will one day end up getting killed by my better half. Oh wait, I think it was the other way around- I’ll end up killing her.

Either way, 26 seems far more daunting than 21.2.

14 comments:

Sushant said...

2 days remain for my own 21.2 to be completed. someone is getting lucky because i am not.....and on the marital front, trust me, nothing can better the rajput sense of pride. i have nightmares about my marriage to (a 20 year younger) nicole kidman being called off because a distant relative threatens with a suicide because she is not a thakur!

bloggertown said...

Bloggerchat team has found your blog to be very interesting and unique!

And so we invite you to become one of the authors of our website www.bloggerchat.in which is the most exciting place for all bloggers and writers out there!

You could publish your posts, get comments, enter contests, win cool gifts, gossip, fight, unwind urself and much more!

Also, register and Write at bloggerchat to win cool t-shirts, absolutely free!

Chronoz said...

Assuming that we'll all be invited: I can almost picture the boisterous R-gang standing out at what would have otherwise been a quiet Tam Brahm marriage. Unless ofcourse, Bald-Ed successfully hooks up with someone before you.

P.S: ^What was all that bloggercrap about??

Murty said...

Although this is one topic I usually keep off around here, I've been to too many varied weddings to realise that like most other things, this will just happen, too. And then you'll look back at this. And then, you'll do nothing about it. So better do that now itself. Saves the time and energy for more dexterous jobs.

@Shreyas

I thought even Maddu weddings were quite like Haddus', where it's almost strictly a family affair (rather simply because there're always a 100 relatives on each side to turn up).

Raghav said...

maddu weddings (tam bram ones, specifically) have always been very interesting to attend, mainly cuz of the huge variety of food.
On a sidenote, it seems hillarious picturing Dhilla cracking applams on the bride's head during the nalungu :P

@Moore-Da : Traditionally, maddu weddings (the muhurtam, in this context) witness a huge crowd from both sides, that includes intimate friends.

Shrey said...

I'm mentally convulsing with laughter as I imagine you going through the ritual. Anyway, at least now you know what not to ask the girl before marriage. And I still believe 21.2 is far more daunting than 26.

Anonymous said...

Ah...maddu weddings! I love the paal paysam they serve during lunch. And the pongal and chutney for breakfast. And I do remember enjoying gamboling around as a five-year old.

DDKDK9 gave me the job of gatecrashing the Betrothal in B'lore, but I arrived a couple of days too late. By then, of course, the K9 had managed to convince most people that this was an engagement of convenience (note:not a marriage).

Nice to see you back on the blogging front. I needed a breather from writing pseudo codes and solving games.

Arun said...

That quote by Haruki Murakami was class. Sheer class.
Kafka on the Shore. I shall make sure I get hold of the book soon.

Saagar said...

Why, oh why has marriage been on your knotty mind? You will of course know what to say and more importantly what not to say when you go bride hunting. No rookie mistakes tolerated then.
PTV has been quite aggressive in trying to join the ranks of the miserable. The good news, I'm guessing, is just a poem away.
Do elucidate on 26, will you?
Regarding all weddings south of the sanity line, the absence of a baaraat and naach-gaana leaves a lot to be desired. Personal opinion obviously.

Anonymous said...

Nice quote by Haruki Murakami... how true! :)
Hoping you are a male-female person (not that i would mind if you arent!) and hoping to see you tie the knot (makes me snigger picturing it for some reason! :P)...

Anirudh Arun said...

Welcome back.
So, two hilarious incidents of the past are looking down and laughing at you eh?
Anyway, we all will be there da, to take pics and put them up on our blogs!

And for god's sake, don't remind us of Pink Punk's predictions... He has an eerie knack of getting unnervingly close to the truth.

Prachi Agrawal said...

Marriage?!
Fourth years are that vella or what?
What are you like...21 right?
And what's with 26? Isn't that early?
I have no idea what the weddings down south are like...but for some reason imagining you in a north style one is hilarious!
You, baraat and all!
On a serious note...you do not even have a degree right now!
You actually are just 12th passed!
So get your mind on matters that matter!
Marriage?!
Honestly!

Anunaya Jha said...

To be really honest with you, I like weddings. The more ostentatious, the better! :)

Lame, je sais!

The Decayed Canine said...

Super da Dele. Way too classy. Now you understand what I went through last year? :)